Sunday, March 9, 2008

New beers rolling in

I spotted something new as I took my customary stroll down the beer aisle at Winn Dixie yesterday, two offerings from Cable Car Brewing, an amber ale and a lager (that's the lager in my hand at the store, at right). Having never heard of the label before, I decided to look 'em up before taking the plunge.

There's not much on the Web, apparently because the brand is kinda new, and also because the parent company, City Brewing of LaCrosse, Wisc., doesn't have much of a Web presence itself. A message on the company's Web site says it's being redesigned. There's a little history at Wikipedia. City are the folks responsible for ... well, not much that I've ever noticed on shelves around here.

There are only a few ratings so far at RateBeer.com and BeerAdvocate.com for Cable Car Lager (RB, BA) and Cable Car Amber Ale (RB, BA). The early consensus ranges from terrible to mediocre. Yikes. I'll eventually give it a try myself and let you know what I think.

It's interesting that several of the reviewers at both sites mention having picked the beer up at Winn Dixie stores, and that nearly all of the reviewers come from Florida, where that company is headquartered. (There's also one review from Cullman, Ala., and one from Little Falls, N.J.) The earliest was posted in late August last year. Clues, perhaps, to the brewery's roll-out or distribution plans for this brand?

Anyone out there tried it? Whaddya think? Familiar with any other City-brewed brands? Click below to comment.