Thursday, March 13, 2008

Good press from out west

The Los Angeles Times this weekend published a thorough look at efforts to change Alabama's beer-related laws, with a particularly close look at homebrewing's illegality and Free the Hops' efforts to raise the 6-percent ABV limit.

Stephanie Simon's piece is perhaps the best-written, best-researched story the press has yet produced on the state of beer in Alabama. Bravo.

One voice I'm glad to see represented in the story is that of an ABC administrator. I don't know that I've seen anyone in Montgomery express this before (and to be fair, I haven't yet asked them myself):

"What's done in a private home often goes undiscovered," says John Richardson, assistant administrator of the alcohol control board. "You can imagine how confusing it is trying to enforce this."

Here's hoping you don't have to worry about it much longer, Mr. Richardson.