Tuesday, January 8, 2008

What's your beer worth to you?

Tomorrow's column (I'm back on the beer beat after taking most of December off to do my real job ... and take a short vacation) looks at the impending jump in prices for beer, especially craft beer. Brewers are paying triple or more what they used to for hops, double for malt. To stay afloat, they'll have to put some of that on the price tag. I haven't seen much difference yet, but folks I talked to said we should see costlier beer on the shelves by the end of the month or in early February.

Wanna help document the price shift as it happens? Pick your favorite beer, and if you don't already know the usual price by memory, stop by the store soon and write it down, then revisit over the next few weeks to watch for a change. Share your results with other Pitcher This readers by clicking below to comment on the blog, or just e-mail me what you find at bcunningham@annistonstar.com. I'll post roundups whenever I get a few.

Include the brand, the store, the original price and the date you checked it, then the new price and the date you saw it. Format your stuff something like this:

Bubba's Pale Ale 6-pack, Jim Bob's Gas & Grocery in Anniston, $6.71 on Jan. 12, $8.25 on Feb. 2.

This should be interesting.