Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Aged like fine ... beer

In his Washington Post column today, Greg Kitsock explores the practice of aging beers to enhance their flavor.

"Which styles will stand the test of time? High-test brews such as barley wines, imperial stouts, wee heavies and Belgian strong ales have an advantage over beers of moderate strength."

Kitsock also mentions lambics as prime for leaving be a while.

One key in keeping beer around long enough to enjoy it more, he writes, is keeping it at an even temperature of 55-65 degrees, in a nice, dark place. I'd like to try aging beer, but I'm not sure I've got a proper spot for it. Most of what I buy I keep in a smallish refrigerator, around 35-40 degrees, situated under the bar in a "man room" built onto the back of my house. Unfortunately, the room is not climate controlled, and anything stored outside the fridge would alternate between freezing and frying as the years drag on.

Do you keep a stash around, waiting for the perfect time to crack the cap? Where? In the bottom of a dark closet next to your tax receipts, or in a special, climate-controlled room with a double airlock? Click below to comment. I could use the advice.