Monday, February 25, 2008

First-round shocker

So, I only bothered to make one prediction in the Brewing News' March Madness-style National IPA Championship. True to the form I tend to follow in basketball brackets, I bombed out early. Dogfish Head's 60 Minute IPA lost out to Flower Power from Ithaca Beer Co.

Shows what I know.

Check out the first-round results here.

The only other two brews in the field I'd actually tried also lost this weekend. Harpoon IPA was bounced by the entry from Green Flash Brewing, and Flying Dog's Snake Dog IPA lost to Crooked Tree IPA from Dark Horse Brewing.

Can anyone out there give me a scouting report on these beers? Were their victories expected or surprising? And how, pray tell, can anything top the 60 Minute? I mean, it says right there on the 6-pack carrier "perhaps the best IPA in America." (or is that the 90 Minute?)