Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Today's column: The best beer for your cheer

Few things go together as naturally as beer and football.

Of course, in Alabama, where the premier brand of the game is NCAA-sanctioned, that means having a brew in the stands will get you flagged for at least 10 yards, more likely the distance to the nearest stadium exit.

Since most schools also frown on grills in the bleachers (even the nosebleed seats), beer at least has some edible company in the tailgate territory to which it's banished.

But while Alabama's institutions of higher learning are happy to have acres of RVs parked and tents pitched across campus, fans merrily grilling away, drinking in public is still technically a no-no, near as I can tell.

Both the University of Alabama and Auburn University have exhaustive online guides to the game-day experience, answering fans' pressing questions: How early on Friday can I set up my tent for the game Saturday night? How close to a campus building can I set up my grill without causing an explosion?

Neither school, however, addresses a rather important question: Can I pop a cold one in the parking lot without going to jail? (And if not, will there be a TV in the jail tuned to the game?)

My own alma mater, Jacksonville State University, provides no better guidance on the matter at its Web site. Since my love of Gamecock sports and tailgate parties rivals my passion for good beer, I've often wondered what's really OK.

I'd say the avoidance of the question amounts to a wink and a nod. While the law may prohibit drinking beer on the street, I'm sure there are more than a few cases consumed outside Paul Snow, Bryant-Denney and Jordan-Hare stadiums without interruption from the authorities. Not quite "don't ask, don't tell" but, "have a beer if you like, but get rowdy and we'll haul you off."

Of course, readers shouldn't take my understanding to mean I tailgate with beer, especially those readers who are members of the law enforcement community.

But, seeing as there are people who drink beer at tailgates and since this is a beer column, I'll do my best to offer guidance. Hypothetical guidance.

Craft-beer lovers have it tougher than fans who prefer mass-produced lagers. A lot can go wrong in tailgating, and the dangers are magnified when you've paid up to $10 for a six pack of your favorite brew.

An unwelcome guest might reach into your cooler. An errant Nerf-ball pass could send your triple IPA flying. Should you really pour a high-quality brew into the plastic cups designed to keep police from noticing your beer? And if they do notice, would you want them swiping a cooler you spent $50 to fill?

So don't carry your best stuff to the stadium, but don't turn to the cheapest light lager on the shelf, either. I'd go with a less-expensive choice from an independent brewer like Boston Beer Co. or Yuengling, or one of the higher-quality selections from the American mega-breweries such as Anheuser-Busch's Michelob Amber Bock or Coors' Killian's Irish Red.

If I were having beer, that is.

###

Link to the column at annistonstar.com.